Friday, April 18, 2014

Harry Potter & Catching Up

Well, once again I forgot about this blog.  I even forgot I had come on here and did a post about our Harry Potter unit study.  I'm getting old.

Anyway, we really enjoyed the unit, the most fun was using the cookbook and making quite a few yummy recipes.  It was great reading the book aloud again to the kids.  I think I'm going to reread the next book too and we will just add in the cookbook recipes that correspond with it. 

Right now we are back to work on My Father's World, we're doing 1850-Modern and right now we're almost to the turn of the century, talking about Industrialization and the British Empire mostly.

We are also rereading the Little House on the Prairie books and watching Season 1 of the show.  I know Cait (15) and Brett (14) are a little older for that, but they can't grow up without having heard mom read Little House.  I did read them all aloud to my older kids years ago and the little two did listen in some, but it's not the same.  I still enjoy them at my age, so I'm sure they are too.  They're timeless. 

Soon it will be time to choose curriculum for fall, Cait will be in 9th grade and Brett in 8th.  I want them to be independent with their school work for the coming year and that will be a new thing for both of them. 

My oldest daughter and her husband are having a baby and I find myself thinking a lot about all the fun homeschool-y type things I will get to do again with my grandbaby.  I can't wait.  Five in a Row is the first thing we plan to do.  Actually Before Five in a Row, which I never used with my own children (we did do FIAR).  Kaleb and Alexis plan to "unschool" or gently and naturally teach their child and they both want me to help a lot with that.  School is not a word that will be used, there will be no "school time".  Just a lifestyle of learning that's woven throughout the day.

I'm excited about that too and even though we did live like that when my kids were younger, I always felt we had to do "school time" as well.  I wonder what would have happened if I had been brave enough to just follow my children's lead.  I have so many great memories of our days when they were younger.  As they got older none of my children enjoyed school.  It will be interesting to see the difference and see if their child will be able to retain their love of learning if school books are not forced upon him/her. 

I've started becoming more social (a bit) lately and we went strawberry picking with some friends last week and...here's the big one...I started a small group of moms who are using or want to learn more about the Charlotte Mason method.  We had our first gathering at a state park/beach and we had a really good time and so did the kids.  We'll be doing a book study of A Charlotte Mason Companion with just the mom's meeting to discuss the book and methods and exchange ideas and resources.  I'm hopeful that it will be something that works for all of us and keeps going. 

I'd like to start blogging more, so let's see if I remember I have this blog a bit more often and actually use it.

Enjoying a beautiful day at the beach

Nature studies by our home

No comments:

Post a Comment