Friday, October 17, 2014

It's fall!

Trying once again to blog.

I'm a Mimi now!  I have a beautiful, sweet grandbaby.  Here's Maverick Finn and his beautiful parents.
The Harmon Family

We homeschooled through summer until this little guy was born in late August.  We had gotten up to WWII in our Modern History study and started doing a unit on WWII from Build Your Library Curriculum.  I think we were in week 3 when we stopped for Maverick's birth and are currently taking our fall break.  School will start back up the first Monday in November. 

During our break we are still learning.  I'm reading aloud The Long Winter by Laura Ingalls Wilder and we just finished Coraline last night by Neil Gaiman and had planned on watching the movie today, but we remembered we gave the DVD away because honestly, the movie was creepy and disturbing.  I had watched it with my oldest daughter a few years ago and we agreed we didn't care to see it again.  Of course I had forgotten all this and I don't see it on Netflix or Hulu.  I really wanted them to see the book come to life, so I'm going to see if our library has it.

Caitlyn and Brett have made a few short videos, that's their "thing" now.  They're currently working on props for a video they plan on making with their friends on Halloween.

They've skated some and played tennis together.

Skating in St. Marys


We took some good beach walks, some of which I'll blog in a separate post.

Exploring Big Talbot Island

Beautiful driftwood on Big Talbot Island


We explored historic St. Marys, GA again and visited the Cumberland Island and War of 1812 Museum, they faintly remembered doing that about 7 years ago.

Brett seeing how he would look in the early 1800's
 
Brett is on the 7th Harry Potter book, he had taken a break from the series a while back and recently read the 6th and now is on the final book.  Caitlyn has been reading some Manga, one series I know she is reading is Bakuman.    

  


I signed up for a class on Laura Ingalls Wilder, he life and writing with Canvas Network, I'm currently reading Laura Ingalls Wilder:  A Writer's Life by Pamela Smith Hill, who is also the professor of the class.  It's been very interesting and I'm learning a lot about Laura, the Little House series, the autobiography she wrote and her daughter and her own writing career.

Caitlyn is, as always, working on her anime drawing.  She is currently working on her own anime, making mini food from clay and let me tell you, it looks so realistic.  Very cool.  Today she is moving into sewing.  She wants to make clothes for cosplay so she is making her first outfit for her Halloween costume.  Her sister has been teaching her how to use the sewing machine.

Learning to use the sewing machine
I think that's a pretty good catch-up.  I used to love blogging, but with Facebook and Instagram I've gotten lazy and it seemed so redundant to keep a blog.  However this is a better way to share and record our lives and learning so I'll see if I can remember it's here ;)

2 comments:

  1. Loved reading all of this. I LOVE that you are reading "The Long Winter" to your kids. Keilee never liked Little House books and it about killed me. I just read aloud to her that you were reading this to your teenagers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found me, I've never shared this blog. I used to have one long ago and started this one I think a year ago and always forget about it. I'm going to try to keep up with it. Brett actually came to me last week and told me he was a 14 year old MAN and he didn't care to hear any more Little House books. It was so funny and I told him I understood and he didn't need to hear the rest of the series if he didn't want to. Thankfully Caitlyn still wants to hear so she and I will finish them together.

    ReplyDelete